Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve got a question and don’t see the answer below, just click this button to ask us, and we’ll respond just as quickly as we can!
Why should I choose a monthly accountant vs a less frequent method of accounting?
If an accountant only sees your numbers once a year, it is too late to offer advice that could help make your business more profitable. Monthly accounting services provide more benefits than an annual service. You would miss out on valuable information such as, where you are most profitable or what is driving your costs.
What does it take to transition from in-house to outsourced accounting?
Preparation is “key” for a successful transition, and it doesn’t have to be difficult. With planning, time management, and clear goals the transition can be seamless. Both you and your accountant should also be realistic about possible obstacles. Working together creates clear objectives and defines the path to success.
How can an accountant benefit my bottom line?
The value that you receive from your accountant is like the dashboard of your car. There is a plethora of information about your car on that dashboard. How fast are you going, how much fuel do you have, how far can you go on that fuel? You get the point. Your accountant can provide the answer to all of these questions about your business. The goal is to be proactive instead of re-active.
What are your qualifications?
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Accounting Major from The University of Texas at Tyler
- Associate of Business Administration, Accounting Major from Kilgore College
- Over 20 years of experience in financial institutions and the accounting industry
- Skilled in both for-profit and non-profit industries
What is the benefit of hiring a firm vs an employee?
Having someone on your staff that’s dedicated to your business can be a good thing if it is truly what you need. However, most companies don’t need a dedicated employee because hiring a new employee comes with a lot of challenges:
- Finding the right employee and skillset can be difficult.
- The costs of benefits, time off, taxes, office space, equipment/maintenance, and continuing education will add up quickly.
- An employee isn’t as invested in your business as you are.
Our business’ success depends on your business’ success. We are invested in you and want to see you reach your goals.
How much will this cost me?
We are ready to give you a personalized quote based on your needs.
No one likes surprises when it comes to expenses, which is why we prefer a “flat pricing” model. With our flat-rate, there are no hidden fees. We won’t nickel and dime you for every phone call or email we exchange.
That doesn’t mean your bill will never change, but you will be aware before the cost is incurred. Year-end services such as creating and processing W2’s and 1099’s will be an “add-on” to your monthly services.
We believe communication is key and will follow up with you quarterly (or sooner, if desired) to discuss your ongoing needs, so you will never be surprised.
Do I need to provide office space, equipment or software?
No. We provide for our business the same way you do yours. You wouldn’t ask a client to provide your computer so you could build their website. Or would you ask the client to purchase your desk so that you can draw their building plans? Of course not.
If you use the software that we have in place, the cost is included in the monthly package pricing. If you already have software in place, we can utilize that as well. If there is a need for additional or specialized software, we will discuss that in advance.
Do I have to sign a contract?
As part of your initial consultation, we will create a customized package to meet your individual accounting needs. After we have agreed upon your package, we will present you with a “Firm/Client Agreement” that both parties will sign. This accomplishes a couple of things…
- Each party will have a clear understanding of their responsibilities and the agreed-upon costs.
- We believe in being a responsible business owner. That means maintaining insurance for yours and our protection. My insurance rates are lower because I have clear concise agreements. That enables me to keep my costs down as well.
- There is no “fine print.” Again, being clear and concise is extremely important to both of us for a productive working relationship.
How does this work?
- We will discuss your business needs and line out the details of the services you desire. This is usually virtual but can be done in-person if proximity allows.
- You will upload, scan, and/or email the data to us for processing. The frequency will depend on your desired service level, however, weekly and monthly are the most common.
- We will contact you with questions that we may have about transactions.
- After we have received all data and answers, we will send you a copy of your completed financials and close the period so that no changes may be made. You will have the opportunity to ask questions or request changes before the period is closed.
As with any services, delays on your part can result in a delay in receiving your completed financial data.
Do you offer yearly services in addition to your monthly packages?
We currently do not offer tax or audit services. We do plan on adding these services in the future if the demand increases.
Do I need a CPA?
Not necessarily. Generally, most small businesses only need a CPA if they require “certified financial statements” with an expressed opinion. Only 3% of businesses actually ever need those services. You will enjoy savings of 35% or more by using a professional accountant instead of a CPA for your everyday accounting needs. The average CPA charges $150 – $200 an hour for their services. We are confident that we can provide exceptional service at a reasonable price.
Rest assured, we value CPAs! They are certainly beneficial, and we have and will continue to work with CPAs when the need arises.
Should I separate the monthly and yearly services between two professionals?
One benefit could be having multiple professional viewpoints, giving great insights to help you succeed. It can be a powerful team that gives you the tools you need to make valuable business decisions.
We offer monthly services that include more than data entry. We analyze your data and make recommendations that will streamline your financial processes and give you a clear view of your companies’ financial health.
Most CPAs won’t take care of your weekly or monthly bookkeeping, payroll, payroll taxes, sales taxes, etc. These tasks are generally passed down to lower-level staff in the firm. However, you still incur those higher CPA rates.
Would there ever be fees in addition to my monthly package costs?
As previously stated, we prefer “flat pricing” so that you don’t have to worry about surprises. There are other expenses that could be added to your package. However, we never add anything that you are not aware of ahead of time. Some examples of additional charges…
- Postage/shipping costs – This could be incurred from mailing bill payments, paychecks/stubs, W2’s, 1099’s, etc.
- Travel fees – If you require my services on-site, there could be additional travel fees involved.
- Software – As mentioned above, if you request additional software there would be fees associated with that request
Rest assured, you will not be surprised by any fees. Before any additional charges are incurred on your part, we will request your approval and make sure you are fully aware.
Resources & Articles For Managing Your Finances On Your Own
There is an old saying, “You don’t know what you don’t know”. As an entrepreneur, what do you need to know about your accounting needs? What is it that you need to know, but don’t? There are some basics that every business needs, whether you have a non-profit entity...
There are a couple of predominant pricing models. The most common model is “hourly billing”. The alternative to this is “flat or fixed pricing”. With the “hourly billing” method, you are charged for every minute spent on your books, phone calls, email, etc. As you can...
If you are new to our firm, you might be wondering about the process. This is a common question and it depends on your desired level of service. Our services range from “After the fact” to complete “Outsourced Accounting Services”. I do not come to your office or...